Thursday, August 12, 2010

Street View, Literally

Over the years there have been numerous discussions about the 'Street View' feature of Google Maps.  There has been concern that the Google van equipped with special cameras was recording too much as it moved down the street.  Recently in Worcester, United Kingdom, the 'Street View' camera picked up much more than the neighborhood.  The cameras actually recorded the body of a 10 year old girl lying on the street.  Is she dead?


Fortunately, the girl was not dead, or even hurt.  Her and a friend had been playing and she had the fleeting thought to lay down and pretend she was dead.  It was at that point that the Google van drove by.  Turns out the girl didn't think anything of the vehicle she heard driving by.  Neither did she know her picture had been taken.

Azura, the girl,  said: ‘I didn’t know anything about the Google Street View car (recording me). I fell over while I was playing with my friend and thought it would be funny to play dead.  ‘I’m quite chuffed I’m on the Internet. It is quite funny and I can’t wait to tell my classmates when I go back to school.’

Article with more pictures.

No comments: