Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Signs of a healthy blog

I am in the process of learning about blogs and what makes a really good blog.  Of course, traffic is important, but I am talking about the actual content and layout of a blog.

Recently, I came across a blog that I had not seen before, but it really strikes me as being well thought out and executed.

The focus of the blog is on health and nutrition.  Now I am no expert in these topics, but I could see after reading several posts that there is really solid content in this blog.  Visitors to this site will not leave empty-minded.

The blog has an attractive layout; the header is graphic and pleasing.  There is a 3-column layout, with the content posted in the larger (middle) column.

In addition to the actual content, I see tools to help the reader, such as a search box and a translate box.  There is also a calendar that allows you to go back and check on any archived posts just by picking the day.  Important to building a community of readers, there is a box where readers can register and login.  Apparently registered users are then given the opportunity to comment.

Using those two side columns, as well as some center space in between posts, there is good use of ads.  Yes, ads - even bloggers have to eat.  There is a good variety of ads, and once again the overall appearance is eye-catching.  Obviously the developer of this site knows the ins and outs of putting ads on a blog or web site.

Others know more about blogging than I do, but I thought this blog was noteworthy.

Generally Healthy

Insight on metabolism

No comments: