Friday, October 15, 2010

Where Have I Heard That Before?

Over the last couple of years I have found that I really enjoy listening to audio books.  It's not the same as reading a book, but it is every bit enjoyable.   Many times I have been pulled into a book to the point that I do not want to stop listening.

Well, I have listened to a lot of books from the library, so when I go there I try to not pick books I have already listened to.  Occasionally, though, I will grab a book and not recognize that it will be a re-run.

I just had that happen again with a book called 'Smooth Talking Stranger' by Lisa Kleypas.  I did not recognize the title or the cover of the book.  But within the first couple minutes of listening there was one sentence that I immediately recognized.  Then, slowly at first, and more following, other scenes from the book started to come back.  Point of decision:  do I listen again, or get one I have not yet listened to?  I chose to listen again, this time, but do not always do so.

Our brains store information by connecting new information to existing information.  When we read a book, a lot of that information is retained in our brain.  We may not know it, but given the right trigger, the scenes will begin to replay.  Wow, that is neat!

No comments: