Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Jerome Anchius (1515-1590)

Jerome Anchius was an Italian theologian in the time immediately following the Reformation. He was a prolific writer and is best known for his book "The Doctrine of Absolute Predestination". The following words are from him, and possibly from this book:

Without a due sense of predestination, we shall lack the
surest and the most powerful inducement to patience,
resignation and dependence on God under every spiritual
and temporal affliction. How sweet must the following
considerations be to a distressed believer!

(1) There most certainly exists an almighty, all-wise
and infinitely gracious God.

(2) He has given me in times past, and is giving me
at present (if I had but eyes to see it), many and
signal intimations of His love to me--both in a way
of providence and grace.

(3) This love of His is immutable; He never repents
of it nor withdraws it.

(4) Whatever comes to pass in time, is the result
of His will from everlasting, consequently

(5) my afflictions were a part of His original plan,
and are all ordered in number, weight and measure.

(6) The very hairs of my head are (every one) counted
by Him, nor can a single hair fall to the ground but in
consequence of His determination. Hence

(7) my distresses are not the result of chance, accident
or a fortuitous combination of circumstances
, but

(8) the providential accomplishment of God's purpose, and

(9) designed to answer some wise and gracious ends, nor

(10) shall my affliction continue a moment longer than
God sees fit.

(11) He who brought me to it, has promised to support
me under it, and to carry me through it.

(12) All shall, most assuredly, work together for His glory
and my good, therefore


(13) "The cup which my heavenly Father has given me to
drink, shall I not drink it?" Yes, I will, in the strength He
imparts, even rejoice in tribulation. I will commit myself
and the event to Him, whose purpose cannot be overthrown,
whose plan cannot be disconcerted; and who, whether I am
resigned or not, will still go on to work all things after the
counsel of His own will.

Dennis: There you have it. Thirteen solid chunks of truth to dwell on as you contemplate your faith and what it means to you.

God Bless You,
Dennis

No comments: